Every person having an online store, demands more traffic and more sales in his online store. Right? But not everyone succeeds in doing so! What are the reasons? Why Shopify store owners usually fails in making money from their online store.
The answer is very simple. Just setting up an online store is not providing you the guarantee of generating sales without your own efforts. You need to know the tactics of how to do the best marketing for your store that customers automatically arrives at your Shopify store.
In this blog, we are going to take a look at 16 tactics that you can apply with the intention of increasing sales on your Shopify store. You are needed to put these tactics in action one-by-one and analyze yourself which tactic is creating wonders for your Shopify store.
By the end of this post, you will be able to convert your dull Shopify store into a powerhouse that generates sales morning and evening, day and night.
1. Upselling Online
You may be thinking that upselling is unethical, but it is not. Upselling is actually improving your customer’s experience of any specific product and adding more value to his money. And at the same time, your objective of increasing sales is also achieved.
This is called a win-win situation for both shoplift store owner as well as a customer.
When used properly, upselling can actually bring you closer to your customers while bringing you more traffic & revenue, better retention, and lower churn.
You are still confused what Upselling is?
Upselling is a sales technique where you offer your customers the chance to purchase upgrades. These upgrades are in the form of better specifications, better features, and more volume. Certainly these upgrades are a more expensive version and with the help of this, you can sell your higher priced products. This way your customer spend more money they actually thought of spending.
There are two keys to upselling:
1) Making your upsells related to the original product,
2) Being thoughtful to the price range of your customers.
Just bear in mind that your product has to fit the original needs of your customer and that they may not be very passionate about a higher product price once they have an anchor price in mind. The new product must really be better than the original.
2. Social Media Impact
Business owners often wonder about the "ROI of social media. Facebook page actually drive sales? Tweeting really does anything for my bottom line? Should I be on Pinterest or on Instagram?
Example of Social Media Impact
Take a look at the simple diagram throwing a light on which social media platforms offers what amount of average order value.
To better understand how social media is impacting the e-commerce industry, see how each and every social media platform will work and benefit your Shopify store in different ways-
Network on LinkedIn
Think of LinkedIn as your professional Facebook profile. Depending on what you are selling, you may find yourself spending as much time on LinkedIn developing your business as Facebook.
Now the advantage of LinkedIn is not necessarily just making direct sales. It is also about expanding your network and creating a wide array of opportunities.
Hopefully, you already have a LinkedIn profile and have been managing it over the years. If not, no worries, go ahead and sign up for one now.
How to Make Connections on LinkedIn
Just as similar to Facebook, LinkedIn is a social network, but in place of “friending” people, you simply “make a connection”. Obviously, the more connections you have, the larger audience you can broadcast to. Ecommerce merchants should expand their network as much as possible. Here are some ways you can increase the number of connections:
- Make use of LinkedIn’s “Add Connections” feature
- Go through your old business cards
- Add your friends and family members from Facebook
- Every time you meet someone new adds them to LinkedIn
It is truly significant to only make connections with people you know or have met in the past. Don’t add people you don’t know or have no connection to at all. Not only does LinkedIn frown upon adding people you don’t know, it also lessens the effect for when you broadcast your messages.
How to Complete Your Profile
Your LinkedIn profile is basically an online resume. You are going to want to fill out your past job experiences and of course, what you are up to now.
A lot of people will read your “summary”. So spend time crafting something engaging about your new business venture. Here are some things you can do to spice it up:
- Tell a story – Stories are much more fun to read than your typical resume jargon. Humans have evolved to remember things via story telling.
- Clearly express your unique selling proposition – It is vitally significant to clearly convey to people why your online business is different and stands out from the rest.
- Tell people how they can help you –Doing this helps in increasing the power for other people to conduct effective networking with you. They will know who to send your way, and you will likely want to know who to send their way.
A Quick Note About Posting Updates
The one thing that differentiates LinkedIn updates from Facebook updates is that they are seen as professional messages. On Facebook, people post whatever is on their mind, so an update does not always hold much weight. When someone sees your update on LinkedIn, generally your network will take it much more seriously.
The Three Things You Should Post on LinkedIn:
- Links to your product web pages
- Content that your network will find valuable
- Post your our own content
As a final point, when you are posting updates be sure to write a description in addition to including links to your website. Conversion recommendations tend to get more engagement from your network than sales pitches or boring product descriptions.
Networking On LinkedIn
You have probably heard that networking is an important thing to do at some point in your life. While of course that is true, there are a few things you need to know about networking to make it effective. Here are 4 tips to help you network on LinkedIn:
- Find the best groups that work for you and stick with them.
- Continuously meet with the same people so they remember you.
- Don’t network occasionally.
- For networking to become effective, it takes time
These rules apply for both the offline and online world. The important thing to remember is that you should only network with online groups that are active online. Don't waste your time with people who have just joined up once and have not visited in months.
Spark Conversations on Twitter
Twitter can be a powerful tool to help online store owners grow their business. Without investing too much time or money, you can easily drive traffic to your e-commerce store. It is also a great way to engage with your customers once your business is up and running.
Setting up your account the right way
- Profile Photo: You should make your profile avatar your business logo. When it comes to branding, it is important to be consistent across all your online properties to avoid confusion.
- Your Bio: This is the perfect location for your company tagline or value proposition. Keep it short and sweet and don't be afraid to have some fun.
- Your Website: Always link to your homepage in your Twitter bio section.
- Your Background: Backgrounds can be used in many useful ways. You can either choose to make use of large branded artwork or provide an image that displays contact or support information.
Twitter has an amazing real-time search feature. You can listen to anyone’s Twitter conversation - a feature that can help you increase sales. Here are some things you can approach them with:
- Offer coupons – If you find someone who has just purchased a similar product that you sell, you can offer them a coupon for the next time they are in the market for a similar product.
- Ask them about their purchase – If they have just purchased an item you sell, you might want to ask them about their experience to learn why they bought from your competitor. If they bought it from you - thank them and see how they are enjoying the product.
- Send them links to your products – if you discover someone discussing their interest in a particular product, feel free to send them a link to what you have to offer.
Listen & Converse
Use Twitter as a public platform to show that you are an authority and genuinely help people.
- Solve problems and lend help
- Discuss the current state of your industry
- Show brands that you like
Share Interesting and Useful Content
The single most powerful thing Twitter is good for is to disseminate valuable or interesting information. Based on your niche you should tweet out articles, pictures, and videos that your audience will enjoy. This is a great way to start up conversations with other Twitter users who are interested in the same type of things your online store offers.
Get Busy on Youtube
YouTube usually ranks around the second or third most popular search engine on earth. It provides a powerful tool for business owners and has an unlimited amount of creative ways in which you can drive traffic and sales to your e-commerce store.
One of the main advantages of YouTube is that your video will be included in Google and YouTube search results. Each video you create is a piece of inbound marketing content that will help you sell for years to come. You can also use YouTube videos on your own website to help communicate the benefits of your products.
What Kind of Content Should You Produce?
In general, some categories of content for you to consider are:
- Educate –Produce videos such as visual buyer’s guides, compare and contrast demonstrations, and “how-to” videos.
- Solve Problems –Instructional videos always make great video content. You could probably go on for years showing your customers how to solve problems through videos.
- Interview Professionals –If you are in a sporting goods industry, usually interviewing professional or even amateur athletes can make great content. But even professionals in woodworking or cosmetic industries have very valuable things to say to your audience.
- Describe Phenomenal Products – If you have some interesting products in your inventory, then go ahead and create videos explaining the amazing features of these products.
YouTube Power Tips
- Take Advantage of Your Free Links: Be sure to link to your product or category web page inside your YouTube description. Not only does this help direct YouTube traffic to where people can buy your products, it also helps with your search engine optimization efforts.
- Track Your Video Performance with Youtube Analytics: With YouTube analytics, not only can you monitor your views over time, but you can also get to the bottom of things like the source of traffic, your audience demographic, as well as your how well your video retains attention.
- Keep Your Introductions Short and Get to the Point: It is a common newbie mistake to produce long video introductions. Get straight to the point and your message quickly - no longer than 3 seconds into the video.
Work it on Instagram
What makes Instagram so popular is that it is basically Facebook boiled down to its single most engaging function: sharing photos. Throw in some brilliant photo filters and you have got one of the fastest growing online communities to date. And of course, Instagram is also a great marketing tool for your business with a lot of potential for getting you that first sale. So, let’s discuss just how you and your business can benefit from Instagram.
Delight the World with Your Photos
The whole point of “Instagramming” is to take photos that will generate some sort of positive and viral reaction. The worst thing you can do on Instagram as an online retailer is to upload thousands of white-background product pictures and hope to get tons of traffic.
How to #Hashtag
Knowing how to “hashtag” is key to getting more exposure on Instagram. It is a great way to catch the attention of people from all over the world to your account page. The key to “hashtagging” though is to make use of a mixture of broad and specific terms for your hashtags.
Instagram does not let you link to your online store from individual posts (they only allow you to link in your bio). So you have to be clever about how you get people to know what you do.
- One way to get people to your store is to watermark your images with your domain name:
- One thing to keep in mind about Instagram is that it will crop your images into a square. So if you are going to watermark your images, be sure that you don’t put your domain name in any corner of your photo. Take a look at what happens to the photo above once it’s cropped into a square:
- The next thing you may consider testing is to put in coupon codes on your photos.
Run a Contest with Instagram
Instagram is a great tool to build buzz around your product which not only can help your brand go viral, but also lead to that holy grail of that first sale you are after. Getting started with running a contest on Instagram is pretty simple:
- Choose an incentive (prize)
- Pick a campaign hashtag
- Create a contest "theme"
- Aggregate and display the photos online
Final words about the secret of Instagram
Use Instagram with the intent to engage your followers with something fun, entertaining, and eye-catching. Otherwise, you will end up putting mediocre content out there that would not attract interest from others, much less their hard-earned cash for your goods.
Inspire with Pinterest
Pinterest is a great new visual social platform that is increasingly becoming a powerful source of customers for online store owners. Since it is primarily a visual experience, it is a great place for your product photos to shine. However, you must have a few creative bones in your body to get it to work. The effort is well worth it, though, especially considering that visitors referred from Pinterest are 10 percent more likely to make a purchase from you.
Here are some of the great ways through which you can gain customers via Pinterest-
- Create a testimonial board – If you receive hand written testimonials from customers, snap a photo of them and pin them to a dedicated board for testimonials.
- Use hashtags – Just like Twitter, Pinterest allows hashtags. For specific subjects, be sure to use hashtags. For example, if you run an online store specializing in women’s dresses you might use hashtags like #formalwear, #prom, #fallfashion.
- Host a contest – You can promote a contest where your fans and followers can create boards about your brand or around the products you sell. This is a great way to generate interest in your brand and get other Pinterest users involved.
There are probably a thousand or more ways to spin your Pinterest marketing to generate online sales. However, the best way to find out is to get your hands dirty and start pinning, start generating traffic, and the more visitors you get, the more likely one of them is bound to give you your first sale.
3. Email campaign & marketing
According to a report of Direct Marketing Association, email has an ROI of about 4,300%. While on the other hand, a study of Baymard Institute says that 67.45% of shopping carts are abandoned before they’re completed. This happens for various reasons:
- They got distracted and forgot about completing the transaction.
- They accidentally closed the browser window and did not bother to reopen it.
- They decide to ask a friend or the significant other’s opinion about the purchase.
The incidence of abandoned carts can be reduced by email recovery campaign. Now, you must be wondering what I meant with email recovery campaign. So, let me tell you that this is a method of convincing your customer to complete their purchase. Estimates reveal that savvy retailers will be able to recover about 63% of their lost revenue through “Email Recovery Campaign’.
In place of the default email sent through your platform, you will get much better results when you strategize and customize your emails. Build a sequential strategy for your clients.
For example- 1st send a reminder email after abandoned cart telling them that something is left in their cart. Show them the pictures and the benefits of the products. 2nd email (which is usually be sent after 24 hours of reminder mail), is called as objection handling mail. This mail usually asks customers about the reason for not buying. Run this mail for a month. At the end of the month, you will have an enough database with you of the shortcomings and reasons of not buying. 3rd and the last, send them a discount mail (this mail is usually sent after 72 hours of objection handling mail, offering best discount offer which suits your margins.
Apart from this for getting response of Email campaign & marketing, one can also use the following tactics:
- Send welcome mail when a customer subscribes to your mail.
- Nurture customers regularly.
- Once you get the customer, treat them like royalty because customer retention increases your profitability.
- Be in touch with email receipts because these emails get the highest engagement scores out of any emails you send.
- Re-engage with your customers when they stop buying, clicking and opening your emails.
So, plan your email marketing strategy and campaign wisely to generate sales out of it for your Shopify store.
Example of Email campaign & marketing
4. Follow Content Marketing Strategies
Content marketing is a keystone for catching the attention of customers and maintaining a customer base. It is the publication of any type of content from text to video with the intention of attracting and retaining customers or clients. Although businesses may employ different tactics in regard to content marketing, the objective here is basically the same–to boost business. When you market your content efficiently, you should see that reflected in your Shopify sales.
1. Prioritize on-site content
Content marketing is an excellent way to assist your brand to distinguish its voice in a highly competitive market, particularly with on-site content like a blog. In terms of the sales funnel, you are hitting your audience during three key stages:
- Awareness: More than 80 percent of consumers use a basic online search to find out more about a brand, and on-site content is crucial if you want to optimize your search engine rankings.
- Trust: Providing valuable on-site content will distinguish you as a thought leader in your industry.
- Conversion: Demandbase generated $1 million in new business from an on-site bundle that included a white paper, infographic, webinar, and SlideShare.
If you consistently publish valuable content for six months, you will surely see significant bottom-line benefits, such as growth in search ranking, traffic, leads and conversions for your Shopify store. If you already have a sizable audience, then on-site content will work sooner and better for you.2. Outline a targeted promotions strategy for off-site content
When designing a content marketing strategy, you should focus on off-site content just as much as on-site content. For your off-site content to be effective, you need to outline a highly focused promotions strategy that targets high-authority sites, specifically those your audience are already visiting. The benefits include the following:
- Improved search rankings through inbound links.
- Gets your brand in front of new audiences.
- Growth in traffic to your site where you can host more highly branded content, which presents a better conversion opportunity.
- Leverage sites and social platforms where you target demographics hangs out.
- Focusing on earned reach versus relying simply on natural syndication will ensure you get the desired ROI for your Shopify store from your content.
It’s clear that a mix of on- and off-site content can attract new consumers, drive traffic, and convert leads, but when can you expect results? A successful content marketing strategy can increase traffic by 850 percent, but some of the most impressive results that directly impact your funnel truly can be felt after a year. And whether your focus is on or off site, there are similar KPIs you should monitor for both efforts. These are some common KPIs:
- Organic traffic
- Unique visits
- Inbound links
- Social shares
- Domain Authority
- Press mentions
- Number of impressions
- Increased search rankings
The key to achieving bottom-line outcomes from content marketing comes from carefully crafting your content to create a value-added link between your business goals and the needs of your customers. Don’t forget to pair your content marketing strategy with an optimized website, or you will hamper your ability to generate results.
5. Add More Product Reviews
Online reviews create magic for your online store. It has several benefits. Usually, customers tend to read the review of the product before making the purchase of it. According to people claim, 70% of the customers consults reviews and ratings before making the final purchase.
Here are some more stats that show you the importance of product reviews for your Shopify store-
- According to Reevoo stats, 50 or more reviews per product can mean a 4.6% increase in conversion rates.
- 63% of customers are more likely to make a purchase from a site which has user reviews. (iPerceptions, 2011).
- Site visitors who interact with both reviews and customer questions and answers are 105% more likely to purchase while visiting and spend 11% more than visitors who don’t interact with UGC. (Bazaarvoice, Conversation Index, Q2 2011).
- Consumer reviews are significantly more trusted (nearly 12 times more) than descriptions that come from manufacturers, according to a survey of US internet users by online video review site EXPO. (eMarketer, February 2010).
Product reviews are good for social proof as well as SEO perspective.
Example of Product Reviews
Here, we are providing you how product reviews build trust for a particular product and